5G Americas - LTE to 5G: Cellular and Broadband Innovation
16th August 2017
5G Americas, the industry trade association and voice of 5G and LTE for the Americas, today announced the publication of LTE to 5G: Cellular and Broadband Innovation, a comprehensive 5G Americas technology white paper outlining industry advances in LTE and 5G. The paper provides detailed descriptions and analysis of the transformational nature of LTE and 5G networks. Although in early stages of standards development and completion at the current time, 5G could be deployed in the “non-standalone” version as early as 2019.
The 5G Americas whitepaper "LTE to 5G: Cellular and Broadband Innovation" captures the scope of the most important wireless developments in 2017, such as:
- 5G research and development acceleration
- 5G New Radio (NR) being defined
- LTE as the global cellular standard
- LTE-Advanced providing dramatic advantages
- Internet of things poised for adoption with new cellular iot capabilities in 3gpp release 13
- Unlicensed spectrum becoming more tightly integrated with cellular
- Importance of low, mid and high band spectrum for 5G
- New spectrum models that include licensed, shared and unlicensed spectrum
- Progress of small cells
- Emergence of Network Function Virtualization (NFV)
- 3GPP timeline for 5G and LTE standards development
The report explains the transformation of broadband and the path to 5G including planned and expected capabilities of both LTE and 5G wireless technologies.